Recycling is the law. Secaucus Recycling Hotline – 201 330-2080
Recycle These Items:
- Paper, Cardboard, Junk Mail – newspapers, phone books, magazines, catalogs, paperback books, brown paper grocery bags, cereal and tissue boxes, pizza boxes (if clean);
- Metal cans and aluminum;
- Plastic, plastic caps and glass bottles and jars;
- Milk, soup, juice and sauce cartons;
- The Town of Secaucus recycles plastics with the following numbers: 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7.
Do Not Recycle:
- Plastic bags. Save them and take them back to the grocery store.
- All plastics with the #3 and #6. Look for the symbol on the bottom of plastic containers.
- Styrofoam. It is unrecyclable in New Jersey!
- Household glassware such as dishes, mugs, lightbulbs, window glass.
- Hard cover books. Donate them to the library!
- Paint. Fill remaining paint cans with kitty litter and dispose as usual.
Call the DPW at 201 330-2080 to schedule a pickup for:
- Large household times such as white goods which include refrigerators, hot water heaters, dishwashers and other similar appliances;
- Large items such as mattresses, furniture and construction debris (homeowners only, no contractors);
- Electronic items such as computers, TVs, etc.;
- Motor oil, paint, pesticide containers, antifreeze. Drop off at the DPW Compound at 370 Secaucus Road, 7 days a week from 7:00 – 2:30.
- Biodegradable bags. Use these free biodegradable bags for your Autumn leaves. DPW has leaf pickup every Wednesday in October and November.
- Expired or Excess Prescription Drugs. There’s a red, white and blue mailbox located outside Police Headquarters, inside Town Hall, that accepts pills, capsules, patches and pet meds.
- Batteries and Small Electronics. Special boxes – The Big Green Boxes - have been placed at the Library, Town Hall, the Recreation Center, the High School, both elementary schools and the DPW garage specifically for the purpose of recycling these batteries – Alkaline, NiCd, NiMh, Lead, Silver, Mercury, Lithium; and small electronics – Cell Phones, Power Tools, Calculators, Cameras, PDAs, & Laptops.
If you are not sure about what’s recyclable, please call the recycling coordinator at 201 330-2080.
Call 201 330-2080 to check when special events such as Shred-It or Hazardous Waste days are planned or visit HCIA website for dates, places and time.