The purpose of this position is to manage the current recreation programs, services and subordinates. In addition, the Superintendent shall plan, promote, organize and administer comprehensive recreation services for the community.
EXEMPT (Y/N): Y
SALARY: $65,000.00 – 80,000.00
UNION AFFIL.: None
SUPERVISOR: Town Administrator
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS including but not limited to the following. Other related duties as required.
- Administers the policies of the recreation department currently in place, as may be amended and updated, from time to time, under the direction of the Mayor and Town Council.
- Review standard policies and procedures; streamline/improve and develop standard policies and procedures, as may be needed.
- Plans, promotes, organizes and administers comprehensive community recreation services.
- Establishes administrative procedures to provide maximum services at a reasonable cost.
- Reviews effectiveness of the recreation programs.
- Studies community recreation needs and develops immediate and long-range plans to meet these needs.
- Develop and utilize participant satisfaction surveys and other methods to obtain public and participant feedback, which results shall be analyzed by the Superintendent for regular presentation to the Council.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative planning and working relationships with other local community agencies and interested individuals.
- Manage, train and supervise subordinates job performance. Provide clear direction, expectation and accountability to all subordinates. .
- Manage, train and supervise the Director of Recreation and Facilities Manager to ensure the efficient operation of the recreation department and Town facilities related thereto.
- Manage, train and supervise coaches and coordinators participating in recreation department programs, as may be needed.
- Conduct regular employee performance evaluations.
- Prepare budget estimates and maintains records of expenditures.
- Direct operation of recreation facilities and oversee their maintenance and operations and Facilities Manager responsible for same.
- Prepare reports and correspondence.
- Evaluate and make recommendations as to possible departmental re-structuring, consolidation and/or managerial overall improvements.
- Stimulate public interest in recreation activities.
- Establishes and maintains records of recreation activities and services, correspondence, personnel and property.
- Work with Town Administration to ensure that all Town policies and legal requirements are met for all programming and participants.
- Work hours will vary and will include weekends based on the programs and needs of the department.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; substitute additional years of experience.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in related field; Four (4) years of supervisory experience in recreation work involving planning, promoting, organizing and /or directing a comprehensive recreation service or program for a community.
- Candidate will be expected to work towards a valid certification as a Recreation Administrator issued by NJ Board of Recreation Examiners or similar Federal Certification.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of the methods used to develop, plan, organize, evaluate, promote and supervise a recreation program.
- Must have a valid New Jersey driver’s license, free from any convictions for the last three (3) years.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and various other types of database systems, electronic and or manual recording and information systems used by the departments and Town.
- Possess excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, sometime under stressful conditions.
- Must be able to disseminate information relating to Town operations in a clear, concise and consistent manner.
- Demonstrated ability to provide assignments and instructions to subordinates and supervise their work.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with employees, vendors, volunteers, participants and the public.
- Knowledge and understanding of government operation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is required to stand and walk regularly in various environments and conditions at the Town’s recreation facilities. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
NOTICE REQUIREMENT: In accordance with certain agreements between the Town of Secaucus and various employee bargaining units, the above job opportunity is hereby posted for a period of not less than ten (10) days prior to action by the Town of Secaucus to fill the vacancy. Applications should be filed with the Director of Human Resources Department by no later than 4:00 p.m. February 6, 2017
Date of Posting: January 27, 2017